If it's physical, it's therapy! As we have finally met up with our warm weather and longer days, it's great to be outdoors again exercising. Here are a few summer exercise tips:
- On hot days, break up your workout into 2 sessions to avoid the heat. Get outside in the early am and then do a follow up workout in the evening. You'll boost your metabolism twice during the day and can get in some variety. Bike in the AM followed by run in the PM anyone?
- Stretch AFTER a brief warm up. Warmed up muscles are more elastic so you will get more out of your stretching.
- Hydrate and take cover! Signs of heat exhaustion include dizziness, weakness, nausea, muscle cramps, inability to sweat and the feeling of being cold.
- On poor air quality days, take it inside. Join a class, jump in a pool or go to the gym.
- Want a refreshing, cool and easy summer beverage? Add a few slices of cucumber to your water and let it set for a few minutes. Gulp, gulp....ahhh.
- Nancy Charlebois PT, MT