The Chinese New Year falls on Friday, February 16th this year. Also known as the Spring Festival in China and Taiwan, it is celebrated for the entire week and is a good time for spring cleaning and wearing bright red for good luck. On this special day it is wise to avoid accidents and focus on gentleness and appreciation to create a beneficial influence for the rest of the year.
In celebration of our 10th anniversary, we invite you to our open house, this Friday June 3rd from 4:30-6:30. Bring a friend and come to enjoy music, laughter, tasty treats from the five flavors and a beverage or two.
In addition, we have new some beautiful new artwork gracing our walls lent to us by Ann Deutsch. Ann enjoys working with colors and appreciates the relationship of sky and water changes brought by passing clouds and breezes across the water. Please take time to notice her collages and landscape oil paintings.
See you there!
Portland’s Jade Integrated Health to Host Open House June 3rd – celebrating 10 years of creating wellness, raising families and encouraging health at.
PORTLAND, Maine May 26, 2011 – Jade Integrated Health, a provider of health and wellness services in Portland’s East End is celebrating its 10th year anniversary with an Open House on the 1st Friday in June. Experiment with a menu highlighting the flavors of salty, sweet, sour, pungent, and bitter. This is a free and open to the public, rain or shine to celebrate wellness.
“We offer a full range of services including, rehabilitative services that incorporate acupuncture, physical therapy, massage therapy, Traditional Chinese Medicine and yoga. Our approach to the health and well-being of our patients is solution based,” says John Charlebois, who together with his wife Nancy is the owner and founder of the center. John’s expertise is in acupuncture and Oriental medicine, while Nancy, who is a licensed physical therapist, provides physical therapy treatment and massage therapy services.
“I love my job! It is an opportunity to get to know people in our community,” says Nancy. “Our growth has been organic; Jade Integrated Health has added services according to what our clients have asked for over the years.” They opened their doors in April 2001, offering acupuncture and Chinese herbology. Later, it expanded to include Nancy’s physical therapy practice. In the spring of 2008, they began offering a variety of yoga classes including: prenatal, gentle, and mom & baby. Over the past year they’ve added men’s yoga classes and Yamanu body rolling.
John and Nancy believe strongly in an interdisciplinary and integrated approach to achieve results. This sometimes means coordinating care with acupuncture yoga, massage, pool therapy, Chinese Herbal Medicine or seeing practitioners outside their office such as an osteopath, chiropractor, naturopathic physician or nurse practitioner. Ultimately, it is up to individual patients as to the healthcare path that fits their needs.
“Not only are we committed to responding to our clients’ needs, we are also responding to a need in the community for an enhanced level of health and well-being that our combined services offer,” says John, “and that feels good.” Please join them for a celebration.
What: 10th Anniversary Open House
Where: 218 Washington Ave, Portland, Maine
When: June 3, 2011 from 4:30pm – 6:30pm
For more information call (207) 773-5778 or visit the Open House web page.
Not just another newsletter, but your chance to write us for a change. Please send us your favorite summertime vacation stories. Funny, sad, best experience or worst. Make us laugh...make us cry. The winning-est story will be rewarded with a free acupuncture treatment or massage.
In the spirit of fair play we are including some of our own. We look forward to hearing from you and good luck!!
John, Nancy, Maura, Laragh, Mary and Sue
My Top 5 Summer Vacation Events
4. Sponsoring and attending Shakespeare's Twelfth Night in Deering Oaks Park.
3. Finally having dinner at Fore Street after living in the area for almost ten years.
2. Enjoying every Thursday with my Two boys.
1. Accompanying my six year old for his first hike up Mt. Washington with my two brothers and their kids.
- John Charlesbois L. Ac.
Summer of Metamorphosis - My 5 Favorite Memories
5. Planting and picking from our summer garden with my son Bowen.
4. Finding a caterpillar in said garden, placing it in a jar, watching it transform into an amazing Swallowtail butterfly and then releasing it back to the garden.
3. Watching Hudson bear crawl towards the ocean like a baby sea turtle heading towards home.
1. Visiting the Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens in Boothbay.
Books, Food, Smiles and Friends - The Good Things In My Life
To bring balance into a full social calendar, I have been enjoying time at the beach reading "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo", the first of a new bestselling trilogy, finding inner stillness through my yoga practice and swimming, and experiencing the incredibly interesting and healing effects of acupuncture with John.
This has indeed been a summer that I will not forget.
At our recent open house we unveiled a new package of services. By combining 3 treatment methods, Acupuncture, Massage Therapy and Yoga you can optimize the overall benefits that each one has to offer.
1- Acupuncture Treatment
1 - Seven Week Yoga Series
1 - Massage Therapy Session
This is an ideal way to explore treatments options you might not have otherwise tried in the past. It not only makes economic sense for yourself, but makes a unique gift for that person you never know what to get.
The World Health Organization, National institute of Health, and individuals, such as former Surgeon General E. Koop, recognize Acupuncture as an effective treatment. It can be used for the management of back pain, headaches, migraines, and sports injuries. However, acupuncture provides more than pain relief. It is helpful in treating anxiety, insomnia, digestive problems, abdominal, menstrual cramps, weight control, infertility and much, much more.
The initial benefits of massage therapy might appear obvious, but there are a few facts you might not have known. In response to massage, specific physiological and chemical changes cascade throughout the body, with profound effects. Research shows that with massage:
- Arthritis sufferers note fewer aches and less stiffness and pain.
- Asthmatic children show better pulmonary function and increased peak air flow.
- Burn injury patients report reduced pain, itching, and anxiety.
- High blood pressure patients demonstrate lower diastolic blood pressure, anxiety, and stress hormones.
- Premenstrual syndrome sufferers have decreased water retention and cramping.
- Preterm infants have improved weight gain.
- Stress reduction. With its quiet, precise movements, yoga draws your focus away from your busy, chaotic day and toward calm as you move your body through poses that require balance and concentration.
- Increased fitness. As you learn and refine new poses, you may enjoy improved balance, flexibility, range of motion and strength. And this means you're less likely to injure yourself in other physical endeavors or in your daily activities.
- Management of chronic health conditions. Yoga might help with a variety of health conditions, such as cancer, depression, pain, anxiety and insomnia, by helping with sleep problems, fatigue and mood. Yoga also can help reduce heart rate and blood pressure.
Make your appointment today and start living the balanced life you deserve. 773-5778
OPEN HOUSE ICE CREAM SOCIAL
Friday, June 18th
We are changing our name to better reflect a well rounded choice of health care treatment options. Jade Integrated Health offers Acupuncture, Massage Therapy, Physical Therapy, Traditional Chinese Medicine and Yoga.
At Jade Integrated Health, we strive to provide you with a personal experience, by qualified practitioners committed to your well-being.
We look forward to seeing you.